Hirepool had its beginnings in Auckland in 1955. It was opened by Peter Brookfield & the late Eric Jarvie under the name Modern Industrial Methods Limited.
The first branch was on the corner of Great South Road & Church Street. Back in those days Penrose was better known for the swamp that covered most of it than for the thriving industrial area it is now.
After the opening of the second branch in the central city area, Modern Industrial Methods Limited merged with Labour Pool, a company that hired out workers for labour. It was thought a good move to merge the two companies so labour could be offered as well as equipment. Labour Pool was owned by a former employee called V H Farnsworth. This merger insitgated the name change to Hirepool Limited. However the merger was not a success and Hirepool returned to the business of equipment rental.
By the seventies other branches had been opened and Hirepool had matured into a strong successful business. Management decided to sell Hirepool to Fletcher Limited, who moved the Penrose premises to it's current location on Great South Road. Thus began the thriving business that is Hirepool Limited today.